Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Take a gander @ our yard on Memorial Day weekend.

 
From the patio. A bit washed out --
 
 
Don't shoot into the sun! Don't shoot into the sun!
 
 
Notice the new rocks under Lindy's window? BTW, why is it still "Lindy's window?" The rocks help to balance out the front. The workers managed to cut off a live sprinkler (I told them it was dead - silly me), bury it under that BIG rock,  and when I turned on the water, a veritable river emerged. Had to have 'em out again to fix it.
 
 
A far cry from the next shot taken after our remodel.
 
 
See! October/November '06. Chris and his buddy, Mike Peterson, helped move the 4 yds of dirt and soil conditioner from the driveway to the garden. Big job, too.
 
 
Back to '13. The NE corner. Lots of new plants and color.
 
 
Melissa's "hill." Best it's ever looked and the peonies (center) aren't even out yet.
 
 
Nice, eh? About 9 AM.
 
 
We put in 6 new trees for privacy after our neighbor took out the evergreens which were all along the back fence. I've been "holding back" the evergreens off the fence with chains and cables for years with help from Logan, Chris (both) and Duncan. Nice to get our own trees in. However, they make the Skyrocket Junipers that MK put in over 20 yrs ago look anemic. Guess what's next?
 
 
Another shot of the front - this at about 12 noon. Lots of sun, as you can see.
 
 
After all, it's Memorial Day. Trivia question: When did Memorial Day, or its precursors, start?
 
Are we happy with our yard? Absolutely!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful! But they still don't do your garden justice. I'm so glad Logan and I live here now so we can see your garden in person every time we drop Tate off (another perk of living here!). If you ever get bored, I have plenty of pavers, and rocks, and retaining walls, and plants that need moving/removing at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agreed! Great garden!
    I thought I heard (from Jody, I think?) that Memorial Day was originally a Civil War thing... does it go back further than that?

    ReplyDelete